Thursday, February 4, 2010

Week 2: Wiki, Wiki, Wiki

This week, we are learning about the power of the wiki. A wiki is an online collaboration tool that allows many authors to edit the same document. This is the basic capability, but I'm finding that there are document sharing capabilities, communication opportunities, and tracking mechanisms for edits. It requires strict ground rules and concise learning outcome expectations in order to be effective. I am somewhat limited in my knowledge of just how effective a wiki can be as a learning tool.

I have read about the pitfalls of unclear instructions, the possibility of uninvited authoring and inappropriate content, and other things that could compromise the integrity of the learning experience. If the pitfalls can be managed, however, the wiki can be a very powerful tool to enhance writing and editing skills, collaboration skills, critical thinking, etiquette, ability to give and receive constructive feedback. I am still, in my opinion, a novice when it comes to what can be achieved by using a wiki as a learning tool.

I will be working on designing a project to use a wiki to develop FAQs for a work function, and, hopefully, it will earn an "A" in class and some cool points at work. Once I get started designing my wiki project, I'm hopeful that I will become more proficient and more comfortable with the prospects of using it as a learning tool and in other applications such as work, church, and sharing family moments.

I will let you know how everything works out in week 4 when my project is due. Pray for me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment