Saturday, February 13, 2010

Week 3: Facebook & Ning

This week, we talked about if there should be privacy on Facebook. We read an article about a teacher who thought she posted a comment privately, but it was public, and her students saw it. She was reprimanded by the school, and the question was should she be penalized for a comment that she thought was private. My take on the article was that she had to take full responsibility for her careless comment. There are privacy settings on Facebook, and she didn't use them properly which left her open for scrutiny by her employer. Facebook is for networking and can work to your detriment if you put negative images of yourself out there and make negative comments about others.

We also were assigned to explore Facebook applications, of which I had absolutely no knowledge until this assignment. There are support groups, book clubs, quiz developers, word games, and other educational, social, business, and entertainment applications. I just thought Facebook was something to play around with--I was not aware of it's functionality as a learning environment. I will be setting up a class in Facebook for week 4. I'll keep you posted with the link.

Ning.com is a networking site that allows you to join existing networks as well as create your own. It is amazing the capabilities it has as a learning environment. It has about 20 pages that have different types of information, such as discussions, chats, videos, etc. I really enjoyed the assignments this week, but they really showed me how behind the times I am. I have to step up my game!! I will be setting up a class in Ning, too, so I'll let you know how it goes!

Will post again in week 4!! Take care!!

No comments:

Post a Comment