Friday, January 29, 2010

Week 1: SWOT, Web Quest, Blogs and Wikis

Week one has been overwhelming for me. I feel like I'm so far behind because I was in the ER all day Tuesday with a kidney stone. Although I have completed my week one assignments, I feel pressured right now because I'm used to being ahead of the game. Oh, well.

I read the 2009 Horizon Report and had to give strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats of six up and coming technologies. The articles were clear on some of these areas, but some of it was subjective and depends on your perspective. As I read my classmates' posts, I saw that my perspective from corporate training is very different from teaching in the school system. I learned a great deal from the article, but that learning was enhanced by the information from my classmates.

Through the web quest assignment, I learned that I know about a lot of tools, I have tried several, but I am not proficient with many. I am looking to this course to force me to use some tools that I have not used before and look at some tools in a different way. For instance, I plan to suggest to my church finance team to communicate via blog or wiki instead of email so all communication is visible by every member and in chronological order. I keep misplacing emails and meeting minutes, and everything will be in a central location.

Through the Blogs and Wikis paper, I found that wikis are very different than what I thought they were used for. Before starting this program, I was not aware that Wikipedia was editable by anyone. Now, I know that the information has to be checked with other resources for accuracy. I also was impressed with the number of tools that could be utilized within a wiki, such as document sharing and networking. I, again, feel overwhelmed at this point, but I am expecting that, as my knowledge and proficiency increase, I will feel more at east with the tools.

Talk to you in week 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment